The Adventure of a Lifetime

I have had an opportunity of a lifetime to spend three full weeks on a beautiful island of Kauai, HI. In case you are wondering what it was like, here's the gist of the trip.

The nature of the trip
I went with my brother, Alex. The first week of the trip was pure backpacking, which included lots of walking, hitchhiking, and some bus riding. The next two weeks we had a car to get around on the island. We camped at various beaches and beach parks throughout the entirety of the trip.

The objective of the trip
I can't tell you the reason why this trip came up, there are just too many. Adventure. Rest. Solitude. Travel. Brother Time. Our goal for this trip was to see and be amazed by as much of God's beauty on this island as we could in the duration of our time there. As well as spend as least amount of money as we could there (I don't know about the others, but that was one of my goals).

Living the simple life
Life on the island was very laid back but at the same time a little worrisome because our daily survival needs had to be met (This was especially difficult for us on the first week, as you can probably imagine).  During the first week, we carried in our possession only those things that we absolutely needed: food, clothes, and shelter. We had what we used and we used what we had, unlike living back home.

Living away from community
I spent these three weeks on the island with little communication with those back home. So, to me, I felt very isolated from everyone back home. I did have my brother, Alex, (most of the time) there and Igor and Diana, who joined us for a week. I had a strange feeling about leaving our youth and church for the extended amount of time that I did.

Living a day at a time
Often times I think ahead into the future and in a sense live in the future, but on the island, there were no worries about the next day. Each day was lived out fully in the present. I was able to enjoy each moment and day to the fullest.





Comments

Popular Posts