Think Big: Unleashing Your Potential for Excellence (1992)

I enjoy reading books. I learned to love reading books when I was in my late high school years. I saw the power of reading books in the past several years of my life and Think Big, has reaffirmed and reminded me of the value of reading. 

It only took me a few sittings to get through this book as it captivated me every time I opened the book. It is not Dr. Carson's theology that I admire. It is also not his writing style that is impressive, even though, both are of fine quality. What makes Dr. Carson stand out from many of the other authors that I have read, is his life. 

Right from the very beginning of the book, Dr. Carson hooks the reader with a story of how the most foolish student in his fifth grade class becomes the smartest by the end of his sixth grade, after many visits to the local library. Throughout this book, Dr. Carson takes the reader through a journey of how a black family was able to overcome poverty through the power of education. All three members of the family, Sonya, his mother, Curtis, his older brother, and himself, acquired the careers that best fit their strengths. 

This book and its stories are not so much about Dr. Ben Carson, which he makes very clear throughout the book. He spends a great deal of time acknowledging the impact and support of other people. By doing this, Dr. Carson shows the importance that other people have had in his life. 

An overarching theme in this book that I found to be very profound was the idea that anybody can do it. Anybody can become successful if they learn to Think Big, do their best, and let God do the rest. 

Comments

Popular Posts