Lessons from Humanities


I spent my first two years at Western Washington University deciding what field of study to pursue. 
Classes that were practical and applicable to many areas of my life were especially intriguing to me. After enjoying a couple Communication Studies courses, I decided to become a Comm major; a decision that I will never regret making. What follows is a reflection on four areas in which I was able to greatly benefit from as a Communication Studies student. 

Speaking
Speaking is the foundation of communication. Taking multiple public speaking courses opened my eyes to the power of speech. Not only did I grow in my understanding of the theory of speech, but I was also able to practice applying the foundational principles in my speeches. The Comm classes provided more opportunities for me to improve in my speaking abilities and grow as a communicator. Soon, speaking became a powerful tool that I was able to use in various contexts.

Writing
While engaging myself in other courses, I soon discovered that speaking was not the only way of communicating; writing was just as important and necessary. In order for me to become proficient in writing, I had to learn to observe the writing of other people. This meant that I had to learn to read. I had to enjoy reading. By reading other works, I became familiar with fundamental writing tools, such as grammar, voice, and syntax, which proved to be essential in my own writing. Many classes in this program challenged me to become a more proficient writer by giving me the opportunity to practice writing in many different contexts. 

Critical Thinking
As I was developing my abilities to speak and write, I observed another skill that I was gaining simultaneously; I was beginning to think critically. There were many courses in this program, that offered reading material that challenged my preconceived notions about various subject matters. I was able to analyze the content individually and together with the class, which challenged my assumptions and guided me to obtain important critical thinking skills. Later, I was able to employ my critical thinking skills into my speaking and writing. 

Confidence
At the same time as I was developing my ability to read, think, speak, and write, I was given a voice. Progressive growth in these basic communication skills empowered me to develop confidence. Because I was given the tools to justify my beliefs and personal views, the fear of people that I once had slowly went away. Now I could think for myself and voice my opinion. Not only did I gain confidence through this program, I was also given the opportunity to empower others and help them find confidence during my time as an instructor assistant for the public speaking course.

Communication is a powerful. I am very glad that I was able to discover the power of communication by going through the Communication Studies curriculum. I have developed many valuable skills which will follow me whatever I chose to do in the future.

Comments

  1. Its great to see your progress in these things and the impact of these studies :) The power words will never die. It will ever be an unstoppable force in the lives of those who know how to wield it. History's most powerful poeple were people who knew the power of words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! We must learn from those men to use our words in the most effective and God-glorifying way!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts