No longer a slave

The nation of Israel ends up under the bondage of Egypt after an extensive famine hits the entire world. For centuries, they are stuck under the authority of Pharaoh. Whatever the ruler decides goes, until a man by the name of Moses leads the people out of Egypt. This did not happen suddenly. God uses the plagues to show his glory both to the Jews and to the people of Egypt.

God's presence was clearly demonstrated to the Jews in the events leading up to exodus. As the plagues took place in Egypt, the city where the Jews lived was never affected by the plagues. They were safe from all the plagues. God was showing them that they were his people, that they had one God whom to serve. When Pharaoh finally decides to get rid of the Jews and sends them out, they set out on their journey to the desert with only God to lead them. There is no way that they can survive in the desert on their own. God led them out of Egypt and proved to them that He is the only one who can continue to lead them and provide for them.

Having seen the glory of God firsthand through the parting of the sea and then the death of their enemies, it seems like the only response of the Jews would be praise and worship to the God who has rescued. Even though this is their initial response, the worship does not last long. They grow hungry and soon begin to grumble about the lack of food which can lead them to death. A week has yet to pass and they are already missing the years of their slavery under the rule of Egypt. Focusing so much on their immediate needs and desires, they did not see the purpose that was being accomplished in the exodus. Seeing the lack of food in front of them they were blind to see a gracious God behind them.

This story resonates with my story. I have been saved by a gracious Father from the bondage of sin. He has demonstrated His presence and His might countless times before. He has proved Himself worthy to be praised and worshiped. Being His child, I have no reason to complain about my circumstances. I can have the confidence knowing that He will provide for my every need. Not only can He provide for all my needs, I can be sure that he will provide for all my needs.

I don't want to run to idols for my peace and joy. I want my joy and my satisfaction to be found in God alone, for He is my Lord and my God who has rescued me from the slavery to sin. He has given me a way into His kingdom through the blood of Jesus Christ. I now live for a greater purpose and where He leads me, there I will follow Him!




Comments

Popular Posts